Career Acceleration via Rigorous Educational Experiences in Research (CAREER)
The Institute is excited to present a 1-week, virtual pre-college program for incoming underrepresented minority first-year students expecting to major in STEM disciplines. The highly interactive program will bring together participants from several institutions, giving students a supportive network at their university and those of the partnering institutions with whom to start college together.
Running this year July 26-30, 2021.
Our partner institutions are North Carolina A&T and Hampton University, strengthened by a decade of collaborative educational programs among the leaders of CAREER. Instructors are research-active faculty at the BioInspired Institute, NCAT, and HU. Additional partners include the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) at Syracuse and Hampton and Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) at NCAT.
- Building your STEM identity
- Virtual activities, including: neuroscience, introduction to coding, and data visualization
- Professional development activities: networking, writing a personal statement, succeeding in college
- Research lightning talks from faculty and student researchers
- Academic year research and mentor matchmaking
- Career pathways and life after college
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident and African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
- Have expressed interest in pursuing a baccalaureate degree in any science, technology, engineering, or mathematics field.
- Agree to attend all CAREER workshops the week of July 26-30, 2021, from 10 am – 3 pm every day.
Our application is designed to be easy and fast, with just a few demographic questions and two short essay questions. Your application will be reviewed by our team on a rolling basis, so apply now! Any questions about the application or the program may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please complete the application online.
- The application includes two short personal statements – each 250 words or less – describing your career goals in STEM and what you hope to learn by participating in this program. You may find it easier to compose the statements using a word processor, and then copy/paste it into the form.
- Make sure you check the box indicating that you understand the stated conditions, and submit the form.
We know many of you are struggling with Zoom fatigue, so we will include frequent breaks. Also, the programming will be highly interactive to keep you engaged and learning! A rough schedule of the activities is shown here, but timing is subject to change.
The goals of the program are:
- To position students to compete for research experiences, internships, or major-related jobs after the first year of college
- To bring awareness of and motivation for pursuing research and graduate school pathways to students before the first year of college
- To contribute to study and research skills with which to start college